Public Industry and Personal Recognition
- 2021: Bintang Bakti Masyarakat (The Public Service Star) conferred by the Prime Minister and presented by her Excellency Halimah Yacob, President of Singapore
- 2008: Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (The Public Service Medal) – conferred and presented by His Excellency S.R. Nathan, President of Singapore
- 2004: Citizen of the Royal Kingdom of Cambodia – nominated by the Prime Minister, conferred by the King, presented by the National Assembly of Cambodia
- 2003: Inducted as patron and founding member into the International Food and Beverage Hall of Fame Society, Johnson & Wales University, Rhode Island, USA
- 2002: Commander’s Medal of Sahametrei – by order of and presented by His Excellency Samdech Hun Sen, Prime Minister of Cambodia. The highest award given to a non-citizen.
- 2002: Travel Personality of the Year 2002 – highest Asian Industry recognition, presented at the TTG Travel Awards
- 2001: Corporate Citizen of the Year – presented at the CNBC Asian Business Leader Awards.
- 2001: Outstanding Contribution to Tourism – highest honour conferred by the Singapore Tourism Board, presented by His Excellency S. R. Nathan. the President of Singapore
- 1999: The Royal Order of Sahametrei, by order of and presented by His Majesty King Norodom Sihanouk. In recognition of distinguished service to the King and the people of Cambodia
- 1998: Michigan State University Distinguished Alumni Award – conferred by the Board of Trustees and presented by the President of the University. Presented to alumni who have obtained the highest level of professional accomplishment in their field.
- 1997: Michigan State University School of Hospitality Business Alumni Association Wall of Fame ‘Class of Internationals’ Honoree – conferred by the School of Hospitality Business and presented by its Director
- 1995: Michigan State of University Joon S. Distinguished Alumni Award for outstanding contribution to International Activities – conferred by the Board of Trustees and presented by the Dean of the College of Business, Michigan State University
Read in detail accomplishments at Raffles International Hotels and Resorts ( PDF, 2.11 Mb )
( Case study includes food and beverage concepts, spa/wellness concepts, retail and mixed used development concepts, event management etc)
In July of 2005 Raffles Holdings Limited sold its hotel management company Raffles International Limited and the owned stakes in hotel properties, to a consortium headed by Colony Capital LLC, for an enterprise value of S$1.7 billion dollars. This was at a reported EV/EBITDA ratio of 19.2 times. With the exception of recently announced management contracts, all of the foundations and value were created during the period that Dr Helfer was spearheading the companies.